General Terms of Service
1. These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client by The Fairy Jobmother.
2. The Client is under no obligation to offer The Fairy Jobmother work; neither is The Fairy Jobmother under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
3. Any work agreed and carried out by The Fairy Jobmother will be under a contract for services and is not intended to create an employment relationship between The Fairy Jobmother and the Client.
4. The Fairy Jobmother will provide service(s) as mutually agreed between The Fairy Jobmother and the Client, and confirmed in writing.
5. Completed work will be provided with all changes clearly marked using the “track changes” feature in Microsoft Word.
6. The Client will pay The Fairy Jobmother a fee per hour OR per word OR an agreed flat fee for the job.
7. The Client will reimburse The Fairy Jobmother for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
8. A deadline for the completion of the work will be agreed in writing and the completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee.
9. If, however, upon receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion, The Fairy Jobmother may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline and/or may not be able to take the work on at all. This also applies if the documents or materials needed are received by The Fairy Jobmother later than agreed.
10. Similarly, if, during the term of The Fairy Jobmother’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, The Fairy Jobmother may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
11. If the Client requests a ‘final edit’ i.e. a second proofread or copy edit, the Client must first redraft the document. The price for this will be agreed between The Fairy Jobmother and the Client.
12. For individual proofreading and copy editing services, the total fee must be paid before work commences. For business proofreading, copy editing and copywriting, the full amount must be paid within 30 days of the project commencing. If the Client fails to do this within 30 days, then we will add 10% to the fee for each week that the payment is overdue.
13. The Fairy Jobmother reserves the right to charge interest on overdue fees.
14. Refunds will only be given in rare and unforeseen circumstances, such as the failure on our part to complete your work. Any refunds are at the sole discretion of The Fairy Jobmother.
15. The Fairy Jobmother shall not be liable for any delay or failure to perform any obligation under these Terms of Service and both parties shall be released from their respective obligations if the delay or failure is caused by any circumstances beyond both parties’ reasonable control, including, but not limited to: fire, explosion, flood, war (or similar events such as national emergency or civil unrest), industrial disputes, technical failure, or any other similar event that renders the performance of obligations impossible. In such circumstances, the Client will immediately pay The Fairy Jobmother all arrears of payments due.
16. If The Fairy Jobmother is unable to fulfil the contract within the agreed written terms due to unforeseen circumstances such as, but not limited to, sudden illness, The Fairy Jobmother will contact the Client as soon as reasonably practicable to inform them. Where possible, an extended deadline will be negotiated between parties without affecting the fee in the original contract. Where this is not possible within a reasonable timescale, no fees will be payable by the Client under the existing contract, and a new contract will be negotiated if required. The Fairy Jobmother’s liability to the Client is limited to this in these circumstances.
17. Either the Client or The Fairy Jobmother has the right to terminate the contract if there is a serious breach of its terms.
18. The Fairy Jobmother can terminate a contract at any time and for any reason, including but not limited to: non-payment of fees due; aggressive, abusive or inappropriate behaviour from the Client. Upon notice being given to the Client of the termination of the contract, the Client would be required to pay The Fairy Jobmother all sums due.
19. The Client can cancel the contract at any time before documents have been provided to The Fairy Jobmother at no charge. Any payment made in advance by the Client will be refunded.
20. If the Client wishes to cancel the contract after work has begun they must notify The Fairy Jobmother in writing. The Client will be billed for the work that has been completed up to that point at the per-word or per-hour rate in the contract. Where a flat fee has been agreed, the full fee will be payable. The partially completed work will be sent to the Client upon receipt of payment. If any payments made in advance exceed the amount being billed for partial completion, the balance will not be refunded to the Client.
21. These terms are subject to the laws of England and Wales.
22. The Fairy Jobmother aims to provide an accurate, thorough and reliable proofreading, copy editing and copywriting service. Although we aim to provide the best service possible, we cannot guarantee 100% accuracy (due to human error) and occasionally we may not correct an error.
23. While the aim is to ensure that the Client’s job and university application documents are free from errors of spelling, grammar and punctuation and are consistent in style, we cannot guarantee that using The Fairy Jobmother’s services will result in successful job and university applications .The Fairy Jobmother cannot be held legally responsible for unsuccessful job or university applications in relation to any material returned by The Fairy Jobmother.
24. The Fairy Jobmother cannot be held legally responsible for any losses or costs incurred by any errors remaining in the Client’s work, be they factual or grammatical. The final responsibility for errors remains with the Client.
25. The Fairy Jobmother will not be held liable for errors or omissions caused by the Client’s failure to communicate their requirements clearly.
26. If the Client breaches any of the Terms of Service, the Client will be held fully responsible for any legal claim for expenses, liability and financial losses (including legal fees) incurred by The Fairy Jobmother, as caused by the breach.
27. Each of the paragraphs of these Terms of Service operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
28. The Fairy Jobmother reserves the right to change the Terms of Service at any time without notice and without liability arising from such an action. The Client’s use of the website and the company’s services will be deemed as acceptance of the Terms of Service and any amendments to the Terms of Service.
29. The Fairy Jobmother has complete discretion to modify or remove any part of the website without warning and without any liability arising from such an action.
30. The Fairy Jobmother reserves the right to alter pricing without notice, although any prices previously confirmed in writing will remain valid for 28 days from the date of the quotation; prices on work agreed and being undertaken will not be affected.
Academic Liability (Students)
31. The Fairy Jobmother will not check each academic institution’s policy on proofreading/copy editing and accept no liability if any matters arise if the institution’s terms are breached with regard to proofreading and copy editing. The Client must make their own enquiries and make reference to the work being proofread if required.
32. Avoiding plagiarism and copyright infringement remains the responsibility of the Client at all times. The Fairy Jobmother does not check documents for any possible plagiarism issues.
33. The Fairy Jobmother will not proofread your document in any way that breaches the academic community’s usual rules concerning plagiarism and cheating. This means that the Fairy Jobmother will not rewrite documents or substantial parts of them, add text from anyone else’s work, paraphrase anyone else’s work or make any other change that would constitute plagiarism.
34. If The Fairy Jobmother has evidence to suggest that the Client is guilty of plagiarism, then the contract may be terminated immediately and The Fairy Jobmother reserves the right to refuse to do further work for the Client.
35. The mark or grade the Client is awarded by their academic institution is not within The Fairy Jobmother’s control. The Fairy Jobmother cannot be held legally responsible for a lower than expected mark or grade in relation to any material returned by The Fairy Jobmother. While the aim is to ensure that the Client’s work is free from errors of spelling, grammar and punctuation and is consistent in style, we cannot guarantee that using The Fairy Jobmother’s services will result in improved marks.
Copyright and Confidentiality
36. Any content created by The Fairy Jobmother as part of the proofreading, copy editing or copywriting process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed.
37. The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client without prior written permission.
38. The Fairy Jobmother may use the Client’s name in their promotional material, but will gain the Client’s express consent before doing so.
39. The Client acknowledges that information on The Fairy Jobmother website may contain inaccuracies and errors and The Fairy Jobmother expressly excludes liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
40. The Client agrees to not use The Fairy Jobmother website for illegal purposes and to respect all applicable laws and regulations. The Client agrees not to use the website in a way that may impair the performance, corrupt the content or otherwise reduce the overall functionality of the website. The Client also agrees not to compromise the security of the website or attempt to gain access to secured areas or sensitive information.